To Blog or not To Blog
Various rantings, thoughts and points of view from a 29 yr old father living in Canberra.
Thursday, March 24, 2005
The Schiavo Skinny
I have tried to catch up on the story about Terri Schiavo.
It hasn't really interested me that much up till now. It just seemed to be another one of those US Political smokescreens to take the media's attention for a while.
But yeah, it's more than that. It's a 'fight' between the parents and the husband as to whether she lives or dies.
Here's the skinny (no pun intended):
- Bullemic girl has heart attack and gets brain damage whilst waiting for paramedics to arrive.
- Husband was THERE at the time (learn to do CPR!)
- She's in a Vegetative state with a feeding tube to keep her alive for 15 YEARS.
- 7 years ago, a legal battle started with the parents and the husband as to whether to remove the tube or not.
- Last Friday, the tube was finally removed.
- On Monday, the parents got a congressional bill allowing the case to be heard by a federal judge.
- On Tuesday, the tube is pulled.
- It would take 2 - 4 weeks for her to die of starvation.
- Apparently she wouldn't be in pain during this time.
- The parents are still fighting in the courts to get the tube put back in.
- Terri is reported to have told her husband that she would not want to be kept alive.
Now, bloody hell. What is going on here?
This is only a very quick overview, but the law states that the spouse has power and the right to decide the medical actions of their partner. The parents are saying that there is a chance of recovery. But come on. 15 years. The doctors say there is no chance.
I just don't get why this has become such a political football. It should be an open and shut case, and infact, so far, every court has been in favour of the husband.
It is a sad case, but for fucks sake, just let her pass away in peace and we can focus on more important things happening in the world.
If you are not easily offended, check out these cartoons on the case.
Graphics and design by Ann Stretton 2001