To Blog or not To Blog
Various rantings, thoughts and points of view from a 29 yr old father living in Canberra.
Wednesday, September 01, 2004
Well, the Olympics are over for another 4 years.
My interest peaked around Day 9, when Chantelle Newberry won gold in the 10m Platform Diving. After that, I slowly started to watch it less, and hence missed some of the big events near the end, including Australia's silver in the 4 x 400m Relay.
Channel Seven just tired me out. I was sick of sitting down at 8.30 at night to watch the 'live' Olympics, but all we got were replays of the previous days events (of which we knew the results). Waiting around for something live and new to happen was like waiting for Bruce McAvaney to stop talking. It never happened.
Oh, and don't get me started on McAvaney...
But Australia did great. FInished 4th with 17 Golds. Our biggest gold medal haul ever. Even though we took more total medals away in Sydney, this Athens effort will be seen as a huge accomplishment. A previous host country winning more gold at their next Olympics has never happened before.
More obscure records ;)
Anyway, here's some supposed quotes that NBC captured during the Olympics, although it is dubious that they were cause come of them look familiar!
Also, check out TJ's hilarious Olympic Photos post.
Here are the top nine comments made by NBC sports commentators so far during the Summer Olympics that they would like to take back:
1. Weightlifting commentator: "This is Gregoriava from Bulgaria. I saw her snatch this morning during her warm up and it was amazing."
2. Dressage commentator: "This is really a lovely horse and I speak from personal experience since I once mounted her mother."
3. Paul Hamm, Gymnast: "I owe a lot to my parents, especially my mother and father."
4. Boxing Analyst: "Sure there have been injuries, and even some deaths in boxing, but none of them really that serious.
5. Softball announcer: "If history repeats itself, I should think we can expect the same thing again."
6. Basketball analyst: "He dribbles a lot and the opposition doesn't
like it. In fact you can see it all over their faces."
7. At the rowing medal ceremony: "Ah, isn't that nice, the wife of the IOC president is hugging the cox of the British crew."
8. Soccer commentator: "Julian Dicks is everywhere. It's like they've got eleven Dicks on the field."
9. Tennis commentator: "One of the reasons Andy is playing so well is that, before the final round, his wife takes out his balls and kisses them... Oh my God, what have I just said?"
Graphics and design by Ann Stretton 2001